The main objective of FPE is to promote the flexible packaging industry and represents the interests of the sector at the highest levels in Europe. It is proactively involved in the provision of clear, relevant information to the authorities about the European flexible packaging industry to help facilitate legislation that is both realistic and manageable. FPE also helps to provide clear and factual information about the industry to help answer concerns and issues around flexible packaging.
The recognised voice for the European flexible packaging industry
- FPE is a partner with many important European institutions including Commission, Parliament, and Council of Europe
- FPE liaises and works closely with relevant associations and industry representatives.
- FPE participates in relevant EU working groups and committees
Despite its tight sector focus FPE has established a strong reputation in Brussels through the provision of timely, relevant and clear information on the flexible packaging industry.
The various associations and European Institutions FPE is working with are available through the "Links" section.
Main Lobby Issues
Food Contact Issues:
- migration limits & compliance
- alternatives for testing: modelling, exposure, functional barrier
- hygiene, GMP, traceability
- various specific substances
Most relevant EU legislation:
- Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004 on materials and articles intended to come into contact with food (The Framework Regulation)
- Regulation (EC) No 2023/2006 on good manufacturing practice for materials and articles intended to come into contact with food (The GMP Regulation)
- Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food (The Plastics Regulation, sometimes called the PIM) and its amendments
Environment / H&S Issues:
- Process emissions
- Packaging waste: recycling, recovery, litter
- Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 concerning the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH)
Other relevant legislation:
- Solvents Emissions Directive (99/13/EC)
- IPPC Directive (96/16/EC)
- "Solvents BREF" (under construction)
- Packaging & Packaging Waste Directive (94/62/EC amended by 2005/20/EC))